I'm usually suspicious of American restaurants in France, so I stuck with the more French style dishes (carpaccio de saumon and a faux-filet with fries). At least they got one thing right: the portions were rather large, and for the first time in a French restaurant I couldn't finish everything.
I took 2 pictures of the menu because there were some amusing things.
This first page lists an "American Tartare", except that raw ground beef is the last thing you'll ever find in the States.There's also the Poêlée de San Diego which includes Tequila, but the Poêlé Mexicaine does not....
The Poêlée de l'Arizona has "sauce Louisiane" and the Poêlée du Wyoming has Mexican sauce...
And never mind that the Poêlé du Grand Canyon should probably be Lake Tahoe considering the sauce is "Carson City".
Looking at this close up I just noticed that the Santa Fe has fish...because it's so close to the ocean and all.I forgot to take a picture of the salad page, but every salad started with "lettuce, tomato, avocado, corn, hearts of palm" and then went on with some different ingredients. But seriously, the 10 salads they offer all have corn and hearts of palm, which aren't that common in the States.
Probably the best source of laughs for this meal was the souvenir shop attached to the restaurant: Antic's Shop, La boutique du Carson (Also here)
Seeing how they sell jukeboxes and Marilyn Monroe cardboard cut-outs, I guess the spelling mistake could be considered intentional. The apostrophe is just unacceptable though.
In the end, the food was mediocre and the service really slow, so I don't think we'll be returning any time soon.
1 comment:
I have the same suspicious attitude with French restaurants in the US... If they have spelling and grammar mistakes all over the menu and serve a tomato-sauce dish when you order "blanquette de veau", I call them Faux-French. Carson City sounds like it could qualify as Faux-American :-)
Post a Comment