Tuesday, March 1, 2011

10 days in England!

B and I are leaving (way too early) Wednesday morning to go to England for 10 days. We'll be staying for a week in Cambridge with friends, then a few days in London with another friend. I'm really excited because I haven't been to England since 2007, when I went for the first time. B is a bit apprehensive since the one and only time he went to England was a school trip in 6ème and he had a miserable time.

So far I've found my old guide book and updated the entrance fees to the sites I want to visit, checked the exchange rate (much better than in 2007), and remembered my Oyster card for the London underground.

We decided to fly British Airways since EasyJet only goes to Gatwick and while you save money on the flight, you lose it on the train ticket into London. I also didn't want to get stuck in London when I'm supposed to be teaching, and we can check bags with our ticket.

I'm trying to travel light since we'll be staying with friends and house guests with small suitcases are better than those with bags that invade your living room. I'm not sure how this is going to work out though, because I bought two bottles of Jurançon plus foie gras and chocolates to give as hostess gifts, but that doesn't leave much room in my carry-on size bag for my clothes not to mention my shoes.

To make sure I pack temperature appropriate clothes I checked out the weather. The temperatures are about the same as here in Toulouse (between 5 and 10°), and there's little or no rain for the next few days. I did discover though that BBC weather alerts you as to whether the cloud cover will be white or grey. I love that they differentiate between the different kinds of cloudy weather. It does make a difference though, because cloudy white is still bright, whereas cloudy grey is just gloomy. Friday's forecast is for grey clouds.

Time to go!

1 comment:

Ksam said...

Oh wow, have fun!! I didn't realize B was going with you, I thought maybe you were going with your school.