As I was walking to work this afternoon, I heard cowbells from a nearby field. I think once I leave the Pyrénées, that will be one of the things I miss. This town is too small, but it is wonderful to hear cowbells ringing.
I realized that I forgot to talk about screens on windows and doors in my last post. I have rarely seen screens on windows in France, even though in the summer there are lots of flies and mosquitos. I understand maybe if you have potted plants in a window sill, but if not, why not put a screen and keep out the bugs? I guess the French need screens that can be opened easily though because of the shutters. Screen doors don't seem to exist here either, although I've seen some houses with funky 70's style fuzzy ropes that hang down to make an insect barrier that can be parted. They just look like long bottle brushes to me and it's a pain if you want to go in and out with dishes, but then a screen door can be difficult too. The French may think a screen door is too tacky, but the ropes thing hasn't convinced me either.
I've spent this past year teaching, and one of the things that shocked me the most was all the yelling I heard from teachers and assistants. Americans seem to think this will irreperably damage a child, but all the adults I know seem okay and they must have been yelled at. I still think teachers do too much yelling though. Behavior doesn't seem to change much, and the ultimate punishment (copying sentences 10, 20 or more times) is even more laughable. I can't believe all the teachers I've worked with think that writing lines will help a kid control their urges or temper any better. A+ for the French for starting foreign languages in Elementary school. D- for disciplinary actions.
To end on a more positive note, I was reminded of the beauty and glamour of France this past weekend when I was in the Gard, near Pont du Gard. The country roads lined with trees and picturesque villages in the surounding hills reminded me of what I love about France. Of course, then I reminded myself that the nearest supermarché with a Produits du Monde aisle is probably 30 minutes away and that the nearest TGV train station is 45 minutes. But in the warm sunshine, the chaparral covered hills and church steeples that poked up above the trees made me smile and think about how beautiful southern France can be.
1 comment:
Welcome to the blogging world!
Yeah, the shutters, and the carpets... I am SO with you on these!
And the lack of screens? Drives me nuts. I hate swatting at flies all day, especially when I'm eating. My husband's dad says the French don't have screens because "the bugs don't bother" them. Well, they're constantly swatting at the flies when they're eating dinner. so I'm not sure I'm buying it. :)
Post a Comment